Design Books

I'm always facinated by the NASA Graphics Standards Manual. It's got a good story behind it before you reach the actual manual, and the manual itself is an interesting inisght on how logos and type should or should not be used in a context that is far larger than most everyday designs manuals. It helped give me a different perspective on how to gives rules and guidelines (what I find most insightful were the examples of what not to do) whenever I'm creating multiple designs for a specific group of people, such as my work for Uni clubs or repeat clients.

I'm always facinated by the NASA Graphics Standards Manual. It's got a good story behind it before you reach the actual manual, and the manual itself is an interesting inisght on how logos and type should or should not be used in a context that is far larger than most everyday designs manuals. It helped give me a different perspective on how to gives rules and guidelines (what I find most insightful were the examples of what not to do) whenever I'm creating multiple designs for a specific group of people, such as my work for Uni clubs or repeat clients.
ooh this sounds interesting yeah, completely forgot those standards manuals existed.

Still going through it but practicing with this textbook by my side has helped me get a good foundation on typography stuff, I think you may like it. Its written in a bit of a fun way at times too

Thinking with Type, Second Edition by Ellen Lupton

I made a thread about it but Design as Art by Bruno Munari also is pretty grounding and changed the way I saw things around me a little.

Back