gameinformer is dead

honestly one of the most somber farewells I've seen. Many afternoons were spent reading gameinformer with friends or my brothers, looking at upcoming games and reviews and the art they had. really gonna miss it man. still have the GTA5 and arkham batman covers from the era

This one hurts. Staff had no clue and some reporters were overseas working on a cover story right now.

I don’t know how long it will take these c-suite morons to realize that a healthy gaming press is a necessity for the industry’s future, but I have a feeling that the answer is likely ‘never’. RIP, GI.

Right. People can go “but people learn about games via YouTube” until they’re blue in the face but I’m going to say this as a commercial game developer: it is not the same. It is an entirely separate avenue for promotion with different ups and downs. None of them benefit the little guy once you begin taking other options away.

youtube is not a news outlet. youtube is not a magazine written by people in the industry in the know that have a deep relationship with games and want to share their writing to the world. it keeps getting harder for me to hold out hope but i do it regardless because after this huge boom and subsequent implosion i have this deep down wish and faith that things will bounce back and mistakes will be learnt from.

i may be a nobody that has barely worked on any games but i hold this faith even if naively so

The hope is the journos affected by this can land on their feet and find some way to continue their work as it once was.

someone who still had access to the twitter account tried to post a proper goodbye. and now, presumably in response to that, the twitter account doesn't exist any more

never got to actually read game informer as a magazine since i'm not from the US, but the magazines i saw die at least got one final farewell issue. amazingly disgusting behaviour

This news made me sad when I first heard, but for whatever reason, it hasn't been until today that it's actually hit me. My older brother had a subscription growing up, and gameinformer was pretty much our primary source of game news back then.

I found a site that has downloads for scans of all their issues from 1991 to 2014. It's not everything, but there's a lot here. I've spent most of my afternoon today looking through these and it's be really fun reminiscing over it. I included a small handful of screenshots of pages that I had a lotta fun lookin at.

The Smash Bros spread is from issue #72, "Nintendo's Next" and the Jet Set Radio ad are in issue #91, Forza 4 is issue #222. The last image of the DSi XL is from issue #200, and that one made me surprisingly emotional. I remember that page being how I learned about the DSi XL as a kid, and for some reason, it got me really excited. I was a dumb kid, so of course I wanted one cause I thought the big stylus was really cool, but of course, I didn't need one cause I already had a DSi. I don't even remember it being gameinformer that I was reading, but that mental image of the DSi on that page was stuck in my head for some reason. It's been on my mind since I finally bought myself an XL earlier this year, so when I was thumbing through this random issue and happened upon that exact page, I actually gasped lol. It's such a small and innocuous thing, but it's been years since I've seen it

Definitely gonna miss game informer. The mental image of the new issues that they'd set up on a shelf at my local gamestop, beside the glass case of preowned DS and gameboy games, will probably stick with me for a while. Sad to see them go, but I'll always been grateful they were around at all. They were a great source for news for their time, and I think their old issues will forever serve as a fantastic way to look back and understand what the gaming industry used to be

Attachments

• ApplicationFrameHost_I3hQtlFQSV (Large).jpg
    ApplicationFrameHost_I3hQtlFQSV (Large).jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ApplicationFrameHost_zsK4wqIODf (Large).jpg
    ApplicationFrameHost_zsK4wqIODf (Large).jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 4
  • ApplicationFrameHost_Gm3aphwmZn (Large).jpg
    ApplicationFrameHost_Gm3aphwmZn (Large).jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ApplicationFrameHost_DgfbYs09gp (Large).jpg
    ApplicationFrameHost_DgfbYs09gp (Large).jpg