How did you get your start?

spc_daicon

Reaction score
Gold
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey y'all.

I see that many people post their art here (and they are all incredible) and it got me wondering: how did you guys got your start? What made you pursue such interest? Did you had formal education or is self tought?

I always liked art and dabbled a little with Photoshop back in highschool but never invested much in it but I thinking in start again.

no formal art education, all self-taught, just started a few months before the pandemic out of boredom
though for my 3d stuff I started thanks to the "I've joined a project I can't refuse and now I'm fucked" deadline fighter situation I got myself in in mid-2022
maybe the biggest reasons I kept going were because 1. this was the first non-academic/sport thing that I think I was good at and enjoyed greatly, and 2. I've always wanted to recreate cool cg animated music videos related to rhythm game content

To be honest, I don't really remember when I downloaded blender and what for. I remember I got paint.net to make custom skins for assets on Roblox to use in Roleplay games like After The Flash in 2020 lol, that's probably when I got started with Graphic Design. When I discovered Nuphory (back then she was Volant) in 2021 my mind was blown cause I really liked that crisp electronic sound of hers, and then I got introduced to the wider design scene on twitter via her, and started making stuff then... I liked doing it because it was so much easier to do than music, although I still want to make music...

I know I haven't posted anything for people to see (officially anyway, my signature is something I drew) but I have both formal education in digital media design and have been actively self-teaching for longer. My older sister was a big inspiration for me due to her always having been the family artist, so she got me on the drawing years ago. I've always been into computers in any sense of the word. Coding, video editing, web design, building them, you name it. My degree expanded on my collecting interests by adding traditional animation and 3D art/animation into the mix. It also incorporated the more physical side of creativity, like photography and camera operating. Currently I'm working on my first big, multi-year, personal project which uses basically everything I've listed so far. So, we shall see where that goes.

I'm always seeking to add more skills under my belt in a creative sense, plus it allows my inner kid to actually experience what I wanted to but couldn't, due to various financial issues. Gonna buy an electric guitar off of one of my buddies at some point, try my hand at music since I already practice vocals.

Anyhow, I've blabbed on enough. My advice is if you want to be creative, start doing stuff! You'll be bad at first, everyone is. Imagine where you will be in a year, two, five, or even ten! The time is going to pass anyway, might as well fill some of slow parts with some of that, "What'll happen if I keep going?" mentality.

Last edited:
I don't have any formal art education either and I'm also self-taught, but I started about mid-June. I was on and off graphic design before then (poorly made Frutiger Aero works or just simple photoshop jobs), and I had a big phase around spring 2022 where I'd work on roblox GFX for people, usually thumbnails or profile icons created in blender and photoshop.

Summer 2024 is when I really started though, found a video in my recommended, followed it, and ended up getting really interested in the process. The past few months have been me constantly looking at metalheart and blender guides in order to get better and better and making works.

I like metalheart because everything I make is something I've made myself - since I was younger I've always wanted to make something that was unabashedly, purely created by me. And metalheart is my vessel for that currently.

no direct formal education. i used to draw and make OCs for fun since I was 5 and I improved on my own, but upon coming into contact with some cool artists online I was shown some sites that helped my improvement such as drawabox
I did not complete drawabox fully, I went on my own
from there on I started developing my own styles and working modes, plenty of gaps in basic knowledge but over time things have gotten considerably better
you kind of make your own workflow if you gnaw at it and throw Solutions at it
not just drawing! design too
I would say that, as glitchypsi, my start for both design and illustrations was in 2016-2017

I may have actually got my "start" at least 3 times. Always been interested in making my own music & visuals but the first times I tried didn't really catch on. I was not ready to understand the tools needed to produce these works yet. The real start may have been in 2017 when I really sat down and learned to use FL Studio then Ableton Live for once on my own. Then the visuals followed with blender but I still have many things to learn & improve. I haven't really posted anything substantial here since I joined months after my last big release. If you want to do cool stuff, sit down and make it happen!

Back