Music discovery options!

Argo

Reaction score
Gold
Pronouns
He/Him
A discussion on ways to discover new music.
-----

What tools/services do you use to find new music? I just got access to Spotify's daylist feature - a personal playlist attempting to stay within a general mood/theme. So far I've really enjoyed it, and it updates several times a day.

Previously I have used Spotify DJ, but it seems to run into a lot of repeats and feedback loops. Discovery Weekly is great, but simply not enough for how much I listen each day. Outside of Spotify, I generally find publishers with a few artists under them, and I try to keep up with releases.

Daylist sounds really cool. The discovery options on Apple Music are nowhere near as good - their discovery station keeps thinking I want to listen to the worst 90s pop music I’ve ever heard in my life - but their radio shows are excellent. One is/was hosted by the founder of Incognito and it’s gotten me into some excellent jazz bands like Soyuz.

letting spotify autoplay after I’m done listening to an album usually works, and the recommendations are typically solid and not always the most popular thing in [genre]. i’ve had several bands with sub 2000 monthly listeners pop up.

aside from that, the staff at sputnik music do a Weekly Releases column every week that I check and RYM has good recs/playlists based on your ratings. brooklynvegan is a really good blog for finding stuff as well. basically a never ending stream of stuff to check out

edit: or even just going on bandcamp and seeing what album covers looked cool. found some of my favourite bands (fall of efrafa, locktender, totem skin) that way

Last edited:
My absolute favorite way to discover new music is diving through soundcloud likes and visiting random profiles, and checking the recommended tracks for their music

It's yielded some the absolute best stuff I've ever heard with little to no attention, I wouldn't have found them any other way - highly recommend

Daylist sounds really cool. The discovery options on Apple Music are nowhere near as good - their discovery station keeps thinking I want to listen to the worst 90s pop music I’ve ever heard in my life - but their radio shows are excellent. One is/was hosted by the founder of Incognito and it’s gotten me into some excellent jazz bands like Soyuz.
I've been wanting some radio shows to listen to for a while, unfortunately everything around me locally hasn't really peaked my interests. I'm not in the apple ecosystem at all either (-_-;)

letting spotify autoplay after I’m done listening to an album usually works, and the recommendations are typically solid and not always the most popular thing in [genre]. i’ve had several bands with sub 2000 monthly listeners pop up.

aside from that, the staff at sputnik music do a Weekly Releases column every week that I check and RYM has good recs/playlists based on your ratings. brooklynvegan is a really good blog for finding stuff as well. basically a never ending stream of stuff to check out

edit: or even just going on bandcamp and seeing what album covers looked cool. found some of my favourite bands (fall of efrafa, locktender, totem skin) that way
Autoplay and song radios are wonderful!

I'll have to check out the others, always looking for new hidden gems! Bandcamp is truly the goat, no better way to support creators and they have tons of low profile stuff, been buying cassettes and vinyls for a few months now!

My absolute favorite way to discover new music is diving through soundcloud likes and visiting random profiles, and checking the recommended tracks for their music

It's yielded some the absolute best stuff I've ever heard with little to no attention, I wouldn't have found them any other way - highly recommend
I never even considered an approach like this, sounds like it would lead to some of the most unique discoveries!

Reactions: ein
I never even considered an approach like this, sounds like it would lead to some of the most unique discoveries!
Bandcamp profiles are pretty good for finding super obscure stuff as well. It's pretty fun to start with one of your favorite obscure records, find one of the other few people that have bought it, then see what else they've bought. I find that I generally share a lot of taste with them

another favourite of mine is to check out bands you see other bands wearing merch for. recent one I saw of Kruelty ended up with me finding another 3 bands that were sick

honestly I listen to a bunch of music on youtube a lot since a lot of music I like isn't on streaming. youtube recommendations are really good for finding super underrated stuff.

also lastfm is great.

Bandcamp profiles are pretty good for finding super obscure stuff as well. It's pretty fun to start with one of your favorite obscure records, find one of the other few people that have bought it, then see what else they've bought. I find that I generally share a lot of taste with them
Oh yeah I love Bandcamp for that hah. A lot of times if a cool gem I find is on a music label's page, I'll go and check out the other stuff released on said label, which has, at the very least led me to some lit vaporwave.

What ever YouTube recommends me it usually works since I've found like 8 artists to vibe to this entire year each are different genres but that's what I like to vibe to tho.
Hell yeah! What kind of stuff have you found and been listening to?

Hell yeah! What kind of stuff have you found and been listening to?

What ever YouTube recommends me it usually works since I've found like 8 artists to vibe to this entire year each are different genres but that's what I like to vibe to tho.
Some indie & Alt rap, same with some punk & experimental rock, drum and bass, a bit of pop, experimental (like in general), and some more instrumental type of music to relax. I'll probs make a spotify playlist for them since well I aint paying for that 15 bucks crap for yt premium so I'm sticking with spotify when I want to listen but if I have the chance, I buy it from their bandcamp or website if they have one.

Back