So that Sony State of Play...

crantheman

Reaction score
Gold
Terminal Frame
Lounge Access
Pronouns
he/him/his
Tbh the only game that interests me is Ghost of Yotei (sequel of Ghost of Tsushima). Horizon Zero Dawn did NOT need a remaster, as its already a beautiful looking game on the OG PS4 and especially on PC. But what did you guys think of today's State of Play?

Droppin' the link to this in case anybody else missed it like I did: https://blog.playstation.com/2024/09/24/everything-revealed-in-state-of-play-september-2024/

Quick thoughts as I read:
I like that Ghost of Yotei isn't named Ghost of Tsushima 2. That isn't even particularly tied to the game itself (I never played the original, tho I do want to sometime). Big fan of games being less and less [title] [number], when possible.

I don't want to poo-poo on the Horizon announcements but they def don't interest me. Baffling to remaster the original, like you said- it does not need it whatsoever.

Shocked that ArcheAge is still around! I haven't heard that name in close to a literal decade. I remember reporting on it back when I worked @ TechRaptor years and years ago. Glad they're still kickin', if nothing else.
1727229737963.png
Also, points to them for the same thing I'm giving Ghost of Yotei points for lol.

Fantasian is a phenomenal game and you all should play it. Signed, a proud Apple TV owner.

AHAHAHAHHAA YES LUNAR
LUNAR
LUNAR
LUNAR REMASTERED
SOUL REAVER 1&2 REMASTERED

I don't even need to keep reading. Those two are enough to make this a good showing for me lol. I played Lunar: Silver Star Story on the PSP back when I was like 14. I have incredibly fond, fuzzy memories of kickin' back in the recliner on a hot Summer day and going through that one. Incredibly excited to play it again, and I never played the sequel either so that should be a nice surprise.

new dynasty warriors still looks cool. so does that clay game. so does ghost 2, but i still need to go back and play more of the first game. that dragon age footage completely killed any interest i had in playing that game though

generally just a weird show. did pretty much nothing to stop me from being worried about sony first-party wise. finally seeing ghost 2 after so long is nice, but what are any of their other studios doing? we couldn't even get a little look at the wolverine game? i'm at least glad we didn't see any of the other live service shit they already announced, kinda hoping they've been silently cancelled after concord was... well, concord

idk man. nintendo really do feel like the only one of the three console makers that can actually put games out regularly. i feel like i'm going into a depressive spiral over the state of the industry just from watching a show

but the new dynasty warriors did look cool, so

There was actually pretty hype stuff for me. Ghost of Yotei ofc, Alan Wake Control DLC got me quivering, Stellar Blade x Nier got me screamin', and Monster Hunter Wild release date only being 4 months away is crazy.

Kinda understand some ppl's disappointment tho, I wish there were more first party trailers. Maybe a teaser for Naughty Dog's next game would've sealed the package.

idk man. nintendo really do feel like the only one of the three console makers that can actually put games out regularly. i feel like i'm going into a depressive spiral over the state of the industry just from watching a show
Entirely justified. I have a feeling that we're going to have to have a power drop across the industry at some point soon and Sony/MSFT (oh who am I kidding, they're out of this game) have painted themselves into a corner with a fanbase that's super attached to ultra-high-fidelity gfx. The shift across the board to hybrid systems/mobile APUs is going to be rough for anyone not named Nintendo, but in a best case scenario it means other big devs can put games out at a pace more comparable to Ninty these last few years.

Note, however- Nintendo also stockpiles finished games and announces/releases them when they believe market conditions will be most favorable, which does kinda skew how quickly it looks like they produce games. The TTYD remake was complete for like a year prior to its announcement iirc. Regardless, they still make more games in the first place than anybody else in this arena.

square enix hire me. i will make final fantasy 17 a turn based game with fixed camera angles when you explore and i'll put it on the switch 2 (but the PS5 version will look way nicer). this will cost much, much less than making a huge world where you see everything from every angle and it'll sell super well. please

remembering as I type this: getting a date for Fantasian's escape from the Apple Dimension was also nice lol

I'm excited to see reactions from our usual group when they get to play it lol. Also, extra funny to me how the original difficulty is hard mode in this port.

The Midnight Walk looks pretty cool

And I'm glad to see Soul Reaver coming back even if I'm really not sure about the remastered visuals. It looks like you can hotswap between them so I'll see how I'm feeling on that based on what other features are in the remaster. If they adjusted the camera controls or something that's pretty good but otherwise I'm pretty comfortable just playing the OGs

Entirely justified. I have a feeling that we're going to have to have a power drop across the industry at some point soon and Sony/MSFT (oh who am I kidding, they're out of this game) have painted themselves into a corner with a fanbase that's super attached to ultra-high-fidelity gfx. The shift across the board to hybrid systems/mobile APUs is going to be rough for anyone not named Nintendo, but in a best case scenario it means other big devs can put games out at a pace more comparable to Ninty these last few years.

Note, however- Nintendo also stockpiles finished games and announces/releases them when they believe market conditions will be most favorable, which does kinda skew how quickly it looks like they produce games. The TTYD remake was complete for like a year prior to its announcement iirc. Regardless, they still make more games in the first place than anybody else in this arena.
Mobile is 100% where this industry is headed. For the past few decades the rise in smartphone gaming has made that greatly apparent.

The graphical arms race is crippling the games industry and Sony and Microsoft are going to start seeing the consequences of their graphics arms race. PC is just a better platform for playing graphically intensive games and Nintendo is one of the only games companies that consistently releases good games, even if their hardware is basically a 2017 Android tablet

Mobile is 100% where this industry is headed. For the past few decades the rise in smartphone gaming has made that greatly apparent.
I should specify - when I say mobile APUs, I mean specifically hybrid systems like the Switch & Steam deck. Presumably on ARM64 sooner than later.

Back