What is your favourite anime that is not as well known?

Wsx

Bovinerator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
wsx.moe
Gold
Lounge Access
Gentle Dreams
Chronosentry OVER//CUTE
Pronouns
She/Her
Like the title indicates, what anime do you really love but has gone completely under the radar of the general public, or has now shifted in obscurity after it was popular before, or is just a pure hidden gem in every way according to you?

There is this anime called Bartender about, you guessed it, a bartender. Every episode is about a guest who has troubles in life and the bartender listens to their stories and serves them a drink that might help them heal a little bit. Every episode is directed in a different way as well. It is definitely a lovely watch, even if it isn't perfect.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1589/Bartender

67397.jpg

Let me hear any underrated anime that you recommend!

for me it has to be "anonymouse noise" it has one of my favourite soundtracks in all of the music focused anime
the artstyle might be a bit wacky and the story a bit weird childhood friend love triangle related things etc but i thinks its interesting :)

201b2dd4897110c7cab04d79dbd4837b.jpe
my anime list page for anonymous noise

Gotta say Time of Eve

96125l.jpg

Really chill and cool anime about the interactions and relationship of humans and human-like androids in "20 minutes into the future" Japan.

In the future, when human-like androids have became commonplace, the only distinction between humans and androids are the halo-like hologram the androids have above their heads. Rikuo is an average student that start to notice that his family's housedroid, Sammy, is displaying odd behavior and long periods of absence, and, while looking into the android's locations log, discovers the Time of Eve, an caffé where androids can "turn off" their halo holograms, becoming indistinguishable from humans. All customers in Time of Eve are insentivised to interact without prejudice, be they human or not.

It's an very interesting analyses Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics done in a very heartfelt way and with a nice conclusion. It leaves some some room to a continuation but the director seems to be more focused in new projects rather than doing Time of Eve 2 (he also directed Patema Inverted and Sing A Bit Of Harmony). I loved when I first watched and it became one of my favorite hidden gems. I even backed the Kickstarter project for an bluray release.

Orignaly a 6-part ONA, it was compiled in a movie.

absolutely this thing

9WFK8xaNgw5DGrz0W-MaVmXmp73J8dt8_agkpON1LLI.jpg

its the 4kids shaman king dub lol its basically how i got into anime

Gotta say Time of Eve

View attachment 471

Really chill and cool anime about the interactions and relationship of humans and human-like androids in "20 minutes into the future" Japan.

In the future, when human-like androids have became commonplace, the only distinction between humans and androids are the halo-like hologram the androids have above their heads. Rikuo is an average student that start to notice that his family's housedroid, Sammy, is displaying odd behavior and long periods of absence, and, while looking into the android's locations log, discovers the Time of Eve, an caffé where androids can "turn off" their halo holograms, becoming indistinguishable from humans. All customers in Time of Eve are insentivised to interact without prejudice, be they human or not.

It's an very interesting analyses Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics done in a very heartfelt way and with a nice conclusion. It leaves some some room to a continuation but the director seems to be more focused in new projects rather than doing Time of Eve 2 (he also directed Patema Inverted and Sing A Bit Of Harmony). I loved when I first watched and it became one of my favorite hidden gems. I even backed the Kickstarter project for an bluray release.

Orignaly a 6-part ONA, it was compiled in a movie.
I have heard of this one before, I should definitely finally watch it sometime soon!! It sounds really interesting for sure.

absolutely this thing

9WFK8xaNgw5DGrz0W-MaVmXmp73J8dt8_agkpON1LLI.jpg

its the 4kids shaman king dub lol its basically how i got into anime
Shaman King always looked sick, I wonder if I can get to it sometime soon but maybe I should!

for me it has to be "anonymouse noise" it has one of my favourite soundtracks in all of the music focused anime
the artstyle might be a bit wacky and the story a bit weird childhood friend love triangle related things etc but i thinks its interesting :)

View attachment 256
my anime list page for anonymous noise
This sounds like a good vibe time. I heard this season there are actually quite some music anime as well. So a lot music to vibe to!

the ''Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle'' manga!
criminally underrated - highly recommend!
studio CLAMP's art is crazy good and the story itself is amazing.
the manga starts off somewhat slow but by volume 16 (28 in total) i could not think about anything other than reading the next chapter.
the series also has a crossover series called ''xxxHOLIC'' which just makes it even cooler.
if you read/watched other works of studio CLAMP like card captor sakura for example u will be pleasantly surprised to find easter eggs etc.

id advise you to keep your hands off the anime.
it ends before the story properly kicks off and doesnt really catch the same vibe the manga has at all.

STORY (pretty much explains how it kicks off - so SPOILERS for the first few chapters):
''The famous CLAMP bring the characters from all their creations into an ultimate showdown in this multidimensional tale.

It's the story about four travelers bound by fate and prophesied future. Sakura is the princess of Clow Kingdom, which is ruled by her older brother, King Tōya. Her childhood friend Syaoran is a young archaeologist. Sakura is revealed to have strange powers when she has a vision of a mysterious symbol and places she has never seen. Meanwhile, Syaoran discovers the same symbol at the ruins he is excavating. He sees Sakura standing on the symbol on the ground. Ghostly wings appear on her back and a mysterious force begins to pull her into the walls of the ruins. Syaoran rescues her in time, but her wings disintegrate into feathers, which are scattered across dimensions. The High Priest of Clow Kingdom, Yukito, immediately realizes that Sakura's "feathers" were the manifestation of her soul and memories; without them, she will die. In order to save Sakura, Syaoran must journey to retrieve her wing's feathers, the fragments of her memories.

Yukito sends Syaoran and the unconscious Sakura to the Dimensional Witch, Yuuko, who is one of the main characters in xxxHolic. There he meets Kurogane, a rough-mannered ninja banished from his world by Princess Tomoyo, and Fye, a magician who fled his world to avoid King Ashura. Each of them must pay with what he values most in order to gain the power to cross dimensions. For Kurogane, it is his sword Ginryū, and for Fye, it is the tattoo on his back which regulates his control of his magic. Syaoran, on the other hand, must pay with his relationship with Sakura: even if he is able to retrieve all of her memories, she will never remember anything about him or their relationship. (This sacrifice also pays Sakura's "toll" to Yuuko, because what Sakura values most are her memories of and with Syaoran.) Only when the three agree to her terms does Yūko present them with the power to cross dimensions; a white creature named Mokona Modoki.

While traversing through worlds to find Sakura's feathers, the four travellers and Mokona are forced to overcome many dangers and opponents, some of whom are figures from Syaoran's past who wish to collect Sakura's feathers for their own reasons as they are seen to be objects that hold great power.

But the world is not so simple. The time they made a decision, their destinies were sealed into the tragic course, as everyone in the group has their own secrets...And they thought, that the masks would never fall...

The manga adopts darker and more complex tones in the latter half of the story. Because of the crossover characters with xxxHolic, the two manga occasionally intertwine with each other.'' - https://tsubasa.fandom.com/wiki/Tsubasa:_RESERVoir_CHRoNiCLE#Story
Tsubasa .RESERVoir.CHRoNiCLE.full.936522.jpgTsubasa .RESERVoir.CHRoNiCLE.full.936228.jpg

Tu Bian Yingxiong BABA or To Be Hero is one of my GOATs ^-^ such a cute Chinese anime about single father trying to connect with his distant teen daughter ... ending made me cry hard T^T1000008491.jpg

I think most people here would appreciate, or at least have heard of Summer Wars. It's a Mamoru Hosoda film based off of the concepts he made for the Toei Film Festival Digimon films he made. It's really good, great soundtrack and visuals, very heavily reminiscent of Takashi Murakami as well.

I think most people here would appreciate, or at least have heard of Summer Wars. It's a Mamoru Hosoda film based off of the concepts he made for the Toei Film Festival Digimon films he made. It's really good, great soundtrack and visuals, very heavily reminiscent of Takashi Murakami as well.

My first Hosoda movie

I love his works but no other could quite reach the hights of Summer Wars

just finished binging Kuuchu Buranko and so so so highly recommend. it's downright bizarre with visual style and format but if you are somewhat into mental healt/psychoanalytic therapy/cbt you will love this!! opening and ending tracks are also certified bangers as a bonus. 10/10
mawaru penguindrum
started this some time ago and I love it but it is so packed with action that i find it a bit overwhelming at times. might return back to it now that i've finished KB.

as for more niche anime that is certainly an experience there is tamala 2010. i have no idea what was happening most of the time but was an interesting watch.
another oldies i really enjoyed was X and Kite (second one is slightly hentai and gorey but still an interesting and disgusting watch as a gay man)

for some underrated boys lobe i really enjoyed Twittering Birds Never Fly (sexual trauma cw) and Yes, No, Maybe (a bit more lighthearted and cute)

also like how would you classify something being underrated cause these kinds of classifications are really hard for me to quantifiy lol

Back