Chaak's Daily Thread

chaak

Reaction score
Website
bento.me
Gold
Pronouns
He/Him
So, from today, I'm gonna post want I make here too, to showcase what I do and to get feedback and improve my craft.

I'm a game dev, yeah I draw and make noises that I call music but I really want to improve and I am very committed to this new goal, to draw art and make music which are good enough to help me communicate my ideas to people in other branches of game development

Feel free to provide feedback and knock me on the head if I get too cocky, because ego hinders art

28 Sep 24
- Started working on a new game idea, pong remix!
- Made a rough prototype to test the game feel and i think there is something here...
- Juiced it a bit (Camera Shake + Trails + SFX)
- Streamed it all on twitch, so yay, im getting out of my shell!

29 sep 2024
- New palette
- Score is legible now
- better trail that doesn't stay too long
- subtle effects on collision
- Ring rotation effects represent ball velocity to improve the current feedback design
- SFX changed to a climbing chord progression

30 sep 2024 (Day 3)
- New art pass
- New trail to guide target tracking
- Fisheye, Animated grain, and Chromatic aberration shaders for eye candy
- Added low pass filter, volume and distortion based on ball position + velocity
- Longest stream so far :D learnt a lot!

1 oct 2024 (day 4)

- added leaderboards + silentwolf stuff
- worked on main menu
- found that the name i want is not trademarked :D
- refined ball physics
- added reactive volume
- time slows down when game is over
- colored bars that indicate closeness to game over state

What is the gameover state? From the early vids it looks like its not escaping the screen since it bounces back in, is there an invisible health bar? Game looks really cool, reminds me of super hexagon or bit trip with even more juice :)

2 Oct 2024 - Day 5

- tweaked music a bit more
- redid how the game plays out, difficulty is sustained now
- leaderboards work properly
- added game over screen (fisheye will be tweaked later)
- scoring is now different
- halfway through physics stylization now, fresh rewriting

What is the gameover state? From the early vids it looks like its not escaping the screen since it bounces back in, is there an invisible health bar? Game looks really cool, reminds me of super hexagon or bit trip with even more juice :)
so, after today's work, the game over state is when you dont "touch"/bounce the ball within a merciless time limit (x3 lives)

I'm very inspired by Sorath's works so I'm gonna add a understandable loop of gameplay events, but they will narrow down into a feverish pace as time goes by...
and the score system right now is bounce-count but tomorrow, im gonna make the score be time

the goal is to last longer, i hope i can share more when i find what works the best! Thanks for dropping by, really cheers me up that people are interested in this <3

Back