Executive Title
Cyberworks Volume 2 - Style 1
Profile Music
Lounge Access
Pronouns
he/him
It's swampy.
It's goes, and goes, and goes.
It's the third studio album from He Is Legend.

80a2d6b4fcc14d89a8c3d45e88bd6093.jpeg

It Hates You.

I am by no means a professional music critic or anything of the sort, but I really felt like writing something up about this album today. Truthfully... it's difficult for me to find the words beyond "hey! this is good! go listen to this!" but in the interest of giving y'all a little more to read and giving myself some practice, here goes. I view this as less of a review and more of a longform "hey! this is good! go listen to this!".

Hm. I guess that's as good a way as any to make myself write.

Over the fifty-seven minute long runtime of It Hates You, you'll find your ears subjected to some of the finest riffs that North Carolinian rockers He Is Legend have ever recorded. From the moment Dicephalous, the album's opening track, starts to play it sets the stage for the rest of the album with a bombastic mix of catchy hooks and a grimy sound that I think is best described as dark and tantalizing. You'll find that throughout the album in its entirety, really -- not that this was new territory for the band, but throughout all of their work prior & after this is the album that hit the measurements just right for me.

A triumph of this album is that while it's unmistakably He Is Legend, this isn't I Am Hollywood or Suck Out The Poison. It's an evolution that keeps things fresh and recognizable all the same, which has been a running theme throughout their discography with their work following It Hates You as well. The result is a blend of grungy, catchy tunes that don't really sound like their contemporaries at the time either. The closest you could probably get is a band like Maylene & The Sons of Disaster, but there's a focus on clean vocal melodies here that contrasts with how heavy the instrumentation is to great effect.

A special shoutout to Everyone I Know Has Fangs, which is my favorite song on the album. It's a great spooky lil tune that's a three-and-a-half minute long horror story featuring some fun wordplay, slick riffs, and it has been consistently stuck in my head for the past thirteen months. It's everything good about this album showcased all at once, honestly.

Anyways before I pad this puff piece any further, might as well bring it to a close.

I love you, It Hates You.

Back