Website
t.newgrounds.com
Gold
Glowing Username (Anniversary)
Profile Music
Verified Blue
Pronouns
he/him
Tried out using the image viewer by clicking and found out that it seems to apply anti-aliasing with no way to turn off. I think this kinda sucks because it makes artwork look blurry, especially pixel art.
Newgrounds used to do this too back when their new art viewer just came out and sometime ago they disabled the filtering and imo made everything look way nicer, if its possible I think it should be disabled here too (or maybe added as a toggle!)

imgviewer.png

deskgen img viewer

csp.png

clip studio paint (native)

@tee Could you send me your browser & OS information / screen resolution + DPI? Unable to reproduce on macOS 14.4.1 / Safari 17.4.1 @ 1440p, 100% DPI. Need to investigate how this is being called by the gallery system under the hood, but have a feeling that this only happens when an image is being scaled.

EDIT: Actually, even when scaled I'm not getting this. I'll check on a high DPI screen later, heading out of town again soon. Have a feeling that this is something specific to browsers' rendering engines (which sucks if it's Chromium, because at that point I need to figure out how I'm fixing it since that's 90% of web traffic).

i guess you'd want to use image-rendering: pixelated; in css for these sorts of images. the hard part is just enabling/disabling that for images that actually do want the filtering. not sure if there's a non-annoying way to determine that.

i guess you'd want to use image-rendering: pixelated; in css for these sorts of images. the hard part is just enabling/disabling that for images that actually do want the filtering. not sure if there's a non-annoying way to determine that.
In theory I could have a separate bbcode option for guaranteed unfiltered images but I'm not sure I want to think about the full process of setting that up. Maaaaybe an additional tag around it + single CSS rule would work?

@tee Could you send me your browser & OS information / screen resolution + DPI? Unable to reproduce on macOS 14.4.1 / Safari 17.4.1 @ 1440p, 100% DPI. Need to investigate how this is being called by the gallery system under the hood, but have a feeling that this only happens when an image is being scaled.

EDIT: Actually, even when scaled I'm not getting this. I'll check on a high DPI screen later, heading out of town again soon. Have a feeling that this is something specific to browsers' rendering engines (which sucks if it's Chromium, because at that point I need to figure out how I'm fixing it since that's 90% of web traffic).
ecksdee.png

is this good?

Ok, have deduced a few things here:
  • This is Chromium specific, not OS specific (thanks, WebKit!)
  • Deploying pixelated image-rendering globally harms more than it helps, but IS the solution for affected images.
  • It is going to be a pain to fix right now, since this gets beyond bbcode and into the XenForo Media Gallery plugin itself.
I'm going to file this as a long term goal on the roadmap. I certainly want to encourage posting pixel art here but this isn't an easy fix.

đź”’ing for the time being, but will be revisiting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back