ntt

Reaction score
Gold
Emotional Abstracts - Style 1
Dreamscape Purple
Lounge Access
Pronouns
any
I've been getting really sick of Windows lately. Microsoft in general, really. Small annoyances have been building up for ages, and it's about to get even worse with all the AI garbage we're getting pushed down our thoats.

So... I'm looking to switch to Linux. I'd like a version that's user-friendly and customizable. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Linux distros by default are hella customizable, and the desktop packages take on that customizability philosophy
I will assume you have a PC that can run Win11. In that case I can recommend Kubuntu or KDE neon (both Ubuntu based, which is Debian based)
Ubuntu is a very friendly distro and since it's based in Debian you get the deb package manager/APT which is easy to use IME
KDE stuff is very reliable (NOTE: KDE hosts Krita, an amazing raster graphics editor), and KDE Plasma is familiar and super customizable and HELLA good
However slightly heavy, but not really prohibitive if you can already run 11

An alternative is Linux Mint too, it's also based on Debian/Ubuntu
Pop!_OS also has good word out there for being a good distro for gaming

Last edited:
Reactions: ntt
If you're not ready to drop Windows right away, I reccomend downloading and tweaking Winaero Tweaker. It allows you to easily disable a lot of the shitty features, including copilot

If you're not ready to drop Windows right away, I reccomend downloading and tweaking Winaero Tweaker. It allows you to easily disable a lot of the shitty features, including copilot
I actually advocate for this more than straight up switching for a distro. This choice is not made lightly -- lots of software many people use straight up don't work on Linux distros even with all the compatibility layers that exist like Wine or Steam's Proton

Back