Gold
Circular Avatar Frame
Verified Blue
Blue Steel
Lounge Access
Profile Music
Pronouns
he/him
Not sure how many of you here know Windows96, but he's a Brazilian musician who started doing vaporwave and these kinds of things.
I started following him a few years ago and has become basically the first (and currently only) "labeled" artist I follow actively, thing that was unheard of me prior to him because all I did was get online, see memes and get their music to put in my work playlist.
As of lately he's become rather experimental, and his music still feels vapor-ish but there's something... VERY new about it, compared to what I've listened to before.
Now then, he recently made a collab album with a few other artists, and this is it:

One comment in particular from here had me thinking about that novelty of his music I feel different from the rest
1714616232168.png
and this is basically what I had been looking to say, it's basically a new genre IMO

so I thought it'd be cool to share it. Any thoughts?

It looks like the same artists that have collaborated with him have a similar musical style, so I should be checking out some of their work soon

Just listened to the whole thing through, it's super awesome. Favorite has gotta be Pyxisynth's Public Beta, love the drums in it and that pluck melody is too good. I swear I've heard the melody somewhere before, I think it was an Automhate track on one of Halcyon's compilations... not sure haha

I don't agree with it being a new genre though. I haven't listened to much Windows96 but this just sounds like more upbeat energetic vaporwave, to the point where it could pass for synthwave. if you take another synthwave genre like slushwave or something, all slushwave tracks have a unique character that's all of them being super washed out and dreamy, due to barberpole phasing and huge reverb etc. I don't see what differentiates these tracks from normal synthwave/vaporwave

hypercategorization of music is silly anyway imo lol

also dont understand why the person you've screenshotted decided to coin the name in the first place lmao doesnt seem like they're an artist on the album

1714658951097.png

they seem a little stuck up too lol

yeah hypercategorization is silly (reminded of that meme with the two sides of music categorization) but I just felt different about wind96's tracks as of late because I'm used to vapor having a very particular slow feel and general synthwave felt diff to his later output (though I can't say I'm super well versed at genres, random hypercategorization go LOL)

I took this screenshot in particular because it was the one comment that made me think "hey maybe this is something a little larger" since i hadn't heard of the term before but it does seem that people in the album are using the terms for this kinda style since way before this album's release, e.g. Sonavision who has a few tracks tagged like this in NG

Even wind96 himself added to his bio this little bit which wasn't there prior to this album's release

1714659699849.png

yeah hypercategorization is silly (reminded of that meme with the two sides of music categorization) but I just felt different about wind96's tracks as of late because I'm used to vapor having a very particular slow feel and general synthwave felt diff to his later output (though I can't say I'm super well versed at genres, random hypercategorization go LOL)

I took this screenshot in particular because it was the one comment that made me think "hey maybe this is something a little larger" since i hadn't heard of the term before but it does seem that people in the album are using the terms for this kinda style since way before this album's release, e.g. Sonavision who has a few tracks tagged like this in NG

Even wind96 himself added to his bio this little bit which wasn't there prior to this album's release

View attachment 596
Ooooh that's interesting. Still not sure what makes it different, but I guess hypercategorization is just a thing in the vaporwave community. I just saw one of those slander meme videos but for vaporwave subgenres and they hit me with so many names I haven't even heard of, like what the hell is VHScore and signalwave lmao

Eh, at the end of the day music slaps hard and thats all that matters so i dont really mind it haha

like what the hell is VHScore and signalwave lmao

signalwave....... proceeds to listen to a 1khz sinewave headbanging at how the wave waves

Eh, at the end of the day music slaps hard and thats all that matters so i dont really mind it haha

ye that's what I think too, I guess it's more useful to find similar music but even then things can get crazy lol so it's not that big of a deal

yea not sure why this would be a new genre, sounds like synthwave mixed with some other genres. skimmed through it, its cool! nothing id personally go back to but should be nice for late night graphic designing

some sounds kinda reminds me of something pilotredsun would use

Back