Windows General Discussion

friedrich

Reaction score
Gold
Sunrise Prism
Pronouns
any/all
We have Mac thread so why not a Windows thread as well! (omg a desktop thread :3)

Here you can:
  • complain about bloat and spyware
  • show off your riced out setup, share configs and share time spent on the rice (if you dare)
  • share cool programs
  • idfk talk about Windows
To start, due to finals/thesis related procrastination I've decided that it's time for a new side project. As much as I would want to install Void Linux and just daily drive it on main PC it seemed like a pretty silly idea, as I was not about to risk wiping my main drive on accident (this has happened before, I'm a bit stupid sometimes). Well, this and the need to resize EFI partition because Windows 10 just set it to like 100 MB šŸ™ƒ.

So anyways, with all that taken into consideration I decided to check Windows ricing resources (if you are not familiar with the term, ricing is system customization). I've checked the ecosystem out few years ago and it wasn't that great, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really like tiling window managers on Linux and wanted to have something similar on Windows. When I was running Arch on my 2008 ThinkPad I was using i3 so I decided to look for something similar. I stumbled upon GlazeWM which is directly inspired by i3 and Polybar (for the bar, duh), it was pretty easy to configure, making use of YAML file. Pretty pleasant experience setting it up overall, would recommend. Sadly though, I'm running into some weird tiling behaviors with windows not wanting to change tiling orientation (this might be just keybind skill issue tho) and Telegram's media viewer just spazzing out (had to force quit it few times because of this lol). Some of this (like the Telegram window) was solved by setting the process to floating mode but I would like to have it tiled in my messaging workspace along Ferdium. Glaze is currently undergoing rewrite from C# to Rust, so there is feature freeze and the bugs aren't being fixed (understandable tbh), but I'm hopeful for their future releases! I am also considering trying out komorebi or Whim to see if they handle my needs in a more stable manner. Whim seems particularly interesting, even though it's still in alpha, it has a ton of features and reminds me a bit of hyprland (at least from the showcase on their website).

With desktop environment taken care of, we can move to ricing the terminal. I'm used to using Windows Terminal, so I stuck with that for the time being. With the nerd font already installed I've downloaded Starship, which is a very customizable prompt for any shell and operating system. It's configured with a TOML file, which is easy enough to read, but with the sheer amount of possible stuff to configure it can get overwhelming really quick. With that in mind I've decided to stick with the minimal config, Python env info and transient prompt. It still needs some work, mainly setting color palette and extending current minimal setup.

If someone want to take a peek at the configs lmk and I will make a repo or sth.

GlazeWM_Grd5nQDyWo.png

Last edited:
Popping in to say Winaero Tweaker is a must for any windows install!
Oh yeah šŸ’Æ it's so fucking useful.

Also PowerToys are really useful with Run, FancyZones (kinda tiling wm), easy key remapping and so much more.

I'm a huge, huge fan of RetroBar. Been using this in conjunction with OpenShell on my Win11 install to make it bearable. https://github.com/dremin/RetroBar
It looks great, love the XP aesthetics! (ā ā˜†ā ā–½ā ā˜†ā )
Haven't upgraded to Win 11 and probably won't so idk how bad is the default one. Although I have the taskbar hidden most of the time and now don't even need to access it with them PowerToys run and alt tabing like a mad man. (ā ą¹‘ā ā€¢ā ļ¹ā ā€¢ā )

My biggest problem with the Win11 taskbar is that multi-monitor support just straight up doesn't exist. Basically every customization feature (including position on screen!) wasn't included during the rewrite for 11, but that's the only one that I really need.

My biggest problem with the Win11 taskbar is that multi-monitor support just straight up doesn't exist. Basically every customization feature (including position on screen!) wasn't included during the rewrite for 11, but that's the only one that I really need.
Jesus Christ that's sounds like hell. Glad I didn't update. Gotta love Microsoft's great design and UX choices šŸ™ƒ

yup, tried using retrobar with multiple monitors on 11 and shit started freaking out, so i either have to have the other monitor off or turn off the taskbar on the other monitor which is insanely inconvenient

yup, tried using retrobar with multiple monitors on 11 and shit started freaking out, so i either have to have the other monitor off or turn off the taskbar on the other monitor which is insanely inconvenient
Mannnnnn, thankful I haven't had that issue. Both of my monitors are identical in size, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

nod nod. avid supporter of retrobar (namely the Windows XP Zune Style), i got winaero tweaker just today after seeing this thread active again but not sure if i'll get around to playing with all its features

i've been playing with starship on my linux laptop and it's pretty cute, fun to customize.
oh-my-posh seems like an interesting alternative prompt, but i've not tried it yet.

main windows specific customisation i always always make, apart from removing all the garbage, is changing the short date format so i get the day of the week.
1718890882629.png
also i'm a top taskbar sicko, and i only have it on the secondary monitor, so primary is unmolested and gets full screen utilization. (never liked the auto-hide, feels nasty imho.)

but yeah, nothing too exciting. it's my work machine and also my gaming machine, so aside from stripping out bloat i try not to get too wacky with it.

i've been playing with starship on my linux laptop and it's pretty cute, fun to customize.
oh-my-posh seems like an interesting alternative prompt, but i've not tried it yet.
I've seen oh-my-posh but haven't tried it yet. Might give it a shot later to see if I like it.

also i'm a top taskbar sicko, and i only have it on the secondary monitor, so primary is unmolested and gets full screen utilization. (never liked the auto-hide, feels nasty imho.)
Teehee I'm left side auto-hide insanemaxxer

Sadly you can't change default W10/11 volume and network icons to older ones. NetAnimate still can replicate network one but there's no simple option to replace volume tray icon

Back