desktopgeneration.com
Gold
Executive Title
BIOFORGER
Profile Music
Lounge Access
Pronouns
he/him
It's that time of year again: the time when next year's cars get launched. With tablets larger than iPads, an ever-increasing starter price, and an agent from the EPA ready to wallop you over the head if you even think the words "V6 engine in a sedan" 2025 is certainly shaping up to be One Of The Years in automotive technology.

Anyways, I'm reading a review of the 2025 Toyota Camry right now and it seems really nice. Unsurprising for Toyota, here's the link: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2025-toyota-camry-xle-awd-first-test-review/

1720579967742.png

This honestly seems like a fantastic car but my frustrations with V4 engines remain... completely unchallenged, it seems. I don't have a lot of experience with newer V4s in sedans but there's a certain unyielding smoothness to a good V6 on a long range drive that makes the worse MPG so, so worth it. Still, I won't lie - I'm definitely interested in this. Fingers crossed that it'll be within my budget by the time the Aura's in need of replacement. (Though honestly? Fingers crossed that I almost never have to replace that car, lol.)

Anyways! 2025 car thread. Could keep talking about the new Camry or go on about whatever else here. I know you're all just chomping at the bit to talk about SUVs. :smug:

4 cylinders can be cool but often are just boring as hell, in a FWD hatch or sedan doing 120hp

our family's "new" 3rd gen AWD Skoda Superb is a like 280hp i4 Turbo out of a VW. from what I can tell, even new ones are some of the fastest sedans for the price.

4 cylinders can be interesting but the lack of effort from manufacturers is so disappointing. the WHOLE concept of hot hatches and compact coupes is built on top of small, quick, 4 cylinders.

at least Toyota is building quick 3 cylinders still, props to them

I'm less frustrated with speed (which was more of a problem until really like this past decade or so, I think it's fair to call 2016-17 a turning point on V4 horsepower) and more with how the ride feels. It's for roughly the same reason I'm uninterested in V8s - I am completely uninterested in them because I don't want an engine that makes its presence too well known, every V8 I've seen does that by being the fun kind of loud and every V4 I've ever driven does that by just being nowhere near as comfortable to drive after I hop on the interstate. There's a luxe feel to a V6 that I haven't really felt elsewhere and going by the above review of the '25 Camry, still seems to be the case unfortunately.

at least Toyota is building quick 3 cylinders still, props to them

My mom's Chevy Equinox is apparently a 3-cyl ecotec??? It's shockingly speedy- I have no idea how.

literally all American V8s are using like 100 year old engine design, so they're not that smooth and luxurious feeling a lot of the time? Italian stuff has fancy flat plane crankshafts and modern (1980s) tech such as *twin camshafts* 😱

but you're right though, every 6 cylinder is just so smooth, even at crazy high rpm on the highway

Australia survived on 4 speed transmissions till like 2014 because of how smooth a big straight 6 could be at high rpm

@Andrew maybe after the Aura, you continue down the midwest Salaryman line of vehicles and pop yourself into a wonderful Saturn Sky...

Cars that I am looking forward to? This will be a long list! The new Renault R5 might be at the top. Looks sharp, good price, good colors, and it is an EV! Of course, though... It's not coming to the USA. A common theme amongst all the cars I am looking forward to.
r-dam-1541492-65df4ab48727e.jpg

I try to keep an open mind about EV's. I am optimistic for them, I wish real automakers would get into them already, over here in the USA. Although all the one's in USA are made for the upper class (only ever sold as an SUV or a truck), and are by tech companies, not really car companies. I really do want them to make one for a guy like me (something small, nimble, maybe a bit sporty for gods sake). This really nails that for me. Especially if we are talking about the Alpine version:
1_BSPrincipaux_Ext_AlpineBlueVision_GTS_34avantpassager.jpg

Of course, if Alpine would bring the A110 platform over to the USA, i wouldn't bother with any of this...

The 2025(?) Honda Prelude. It's unconfirmed when it will return but it pretty much looks production ready at this point. Although the design is way too tame and retains almost none of what made the original cool, it is just plain nice to see Honda making a coupe again.
honda-prelude-concept-653887e2b69fb.jpg

More forbidden fruit, the 2025 GR Yaris.
20230112_02_07-copy.jpg

I rented the previous model over in Japan on two different occasions, and it is just my ideal modern car. Hot hatch, fun to drive, cool and wide looking, reliable and good mileage. And the new model gets an attractive facelift and nearly 300hp? Holy shit man. I have got to find a way to store one of these bad boys until they're legal to import....

And a car that will be in the USA: The Rivian R3. An EV that looks like a CyberPunk 2077-take on the Renault R5 Turbo. Unfortunately, it is a bit bigger than it looks (America is allergic to making small cars now), but the way it looks is fantastic. Even has a performance option, and some great colors. If the other EV's aren't available in the states, then this is a genuinely realistic contender for me. I do wish it was genuinely small though, not Normal Car sized.
01-rivian-r3x-65ea1bd1d45ae.jpg

maybe after the Aura, you continue down the midwest Salaryman line of vehicles and pop yourself into a wonderful Saturn Sky...
This is the dream. I’ve been keeping my eyes out for anything I’d have a reasonable shot at for the last month lol

even if I had unlimited money, why should I choose newer models over those that are 17-24 years old? The looks are non-existent so it's not stylish, I don't know anything about performance so can't comment and they're stuffed with unnecessary electronics to the brim - all I need is an mp3 player and i'm good.

I just don't understand this one.. Ford already has the Mustang Mach-E-- this is being sold at nearly the same price, is the same size. What was the point!!!!
Direct competition with Polestar specifically, I think. Compare the new Capri w/ their models.

even if I had unlimited money, why should I choose newer models over those that are 17-24 years old? The looks are non-existent so it's not stylish, I don't know anything about performance so can't comment and they're stuffed with unnecessary electronics to the brim - all I need is an mp3 player and i'm good.
Performance is the main thing, hand in hand with efficiency. During the brief time I drove the ‘22 Corolla I generally got double to triple the gas mileage I get with my ‘07 Aura.

I agree with you on principle though, I hate the direction modern auto is going (and has gone) but eventually everything will become old enough that by nature it’ll just have to become a project car. So I look for the bright side of it all, which mostly seems to be Toyotas lol

Direct competition with Polestar specifically, I think. Compare the new Capri w/ their models.

Performance is the main thing, hand in hand with efficiency. During the brief time I drove the ‘22 Corolla I generally got double to triple the gas mileage I get with my ‘07 Aura.

I agree with you on principle though, I hate the direction modern auto is going (and has gone) but eventually everything will become old enough that by nature it’ll just have to become a project car. So I look for the bright side of it all, which mostly seems to be Toyotas lol
It's a cycle and we're in the bad design part of it so good design is bound to comeback. What are some contemporary designs that are at least tolerable? I like the look of those dodge srt sedans y'all got over there but I heard those drive like a boat and probably guzzle a lot too. Although, maybe this kind of design is bound to stay since its heading for a singularity due to ever-increasing aerodynamics hence the performance like you mentioned.

Last edited:
Big, big fan of the VW Buzz - https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-buzz.html

1726114273638.png

Obviously due to various laws & regulations that result in passengers surviving a crash this thing is never gonna look as cute 'n fun as the '60s original, but... I like how this looks in its own way! It's got a playful space-age feel to it.

View attachment 1147

Obviously due to various laws & regulations that result in passengers surviving a crash this thing is never gonna look as cute 'n fun as the '60s original, but... I like how this looks in its own way! It's got a playful space-age feel to it.
Big fan of this. Very good. I think it is the right step in making something for the new age still have a bit of that friendly, playful look. Love that it's been presented in a ton of fun colors, too.

View attachment 1147

Gonna need a family car in 5-10 years and this caught my eye. Saw the review on Auto Focus and still think there’s room for improvement tho. Something about the silhouette doesn’t do it for me. It’s like… almost there

Back