[BUILD THREAD] My AE86 GT-S Hatchback.

The Wheel Debate
the wheel chart daily sepc.jpg

Would love to know what The Forum thinks on my Top Wheel picks.

Funnily enough, I was talking smack about black wheels, but the conclusion I came to was that I just don't like MY black wheels.
Let's go over the picks:

1) Advan TC4. Classic, clean.. Note that the one equipped to the car is black, but they come in a gunmetal color, which is what I would go with. Very simple look.

2) The RPF1, the "Baby's first REAL wheel". Super basic, super common, but super affordable. Look, they are normie as fuck. But also, so timeless. Looks good on everything, and the bright silver color would look nice against my car's darker silver, for sure. But.. it's so basic.. My inner desire to "be above it" has a bias against it, but when I see how much they cost, I don't mind as much. (like, they are seriously so much cheaper than the other two haha)

3) The TE37.. Almost as basic, and normie as the RPF1, looks good on everything like the RPF1, but quadruple the price! The sign of a "big spender". Well, I thought the same, they were not even close to my list of picks, until I saw the price of them direct from the factory (using the yen exchange to my advantage.. Suddenly, they were the same price as the TC4. I always liked them on the S-chassic. I think everyone does. And although they look black, they are actually a deep metallic gray. I wish they were lighter, but damn, they look good.

I am seriously split. Look, these aren't my dream wheels by any means, but I would still like to get something that's more my style, even if for the time being (realistically, for the next few years). If spending a bit more means having a car I drool over even more, I am game for it.

What do you guys think?

(also, I was going to post another big update with the car, but I had some shipping delays, so it will have to wait. hopefully soon!)​

the TE37 calls my name on first glance -- something about the shape and color is really doing it for me, though hearing the price comparison is definitely a bit gutting. last thing you wanna do is go blowing a bunch of cash on something you're not sure will do it for you in the long run.

checking back on your car, i could see why a lighter color would be the move for you, which causes me to lean more to the TC4. the RPF1 in any case stands out a lot in terms of color, and personally i'm more attracted to the darker contrast that the other two provide. the TC4, at the very least, has that silver edge around that helps separate it more from the tire.

though, it's probably best you get the opinion of someone who actually knows half a damn thing about cars, so i won't try to dig much further into the reasoning as all i could say is "color + shape = good" lmao. i think the TE37 would still be my pick!

Gunmetal TC4's might be the move, not gonna lie. Though if they are only temporary, on a cursory view right now--no telling what the market will do in a few years--it looks like the TE37's are selling for more used. You could, in theory, recoup more once you finally go for the dream wheels. Especially if you are getting them for around the same price as the TC4's. Hell, you might even make money on 'em.

Always good to save money though, toughing out the RPF1's basic factor for a few years to not bet on the market and saving a chunk of change wouldn't be too bad. Especially if that means you can get the wheels you truly want faster.

I'm also "not a car guy" in the sense that I have no idea what is going on in the subculture, but dang do the TE37s look nice. I think something about the six spokes (are they still called spokes on car tires?) feels more balanced to me than the five of the TC4. but after taking a closer look at your Nissan, I definitely think the RPF1s would look really nice with the darker paint like you said.

Honestly all of the wheels would look pretty nice on your car, you have a really nice setup already. If price were equal on all of them, then the TE37s would be my pick (especially since it seems like importing them would be more affordable than normal at the moment).

Curious what your dream wheels are and how they differ from these (design, performance, some third thing?)

the TE37 calls my name on first glance -- something about the shape and color is really doing it for me, though hearing the price comparison is definitely a bit gutting. last thing you wanna do is go blowing a bunch of cash on something you're not sure will do it for you in the long run.

checking back on your car, i could see why a lighter color would be the move for you, which causes me to lean more to the TC4. the RPF1 in any case stands out a lot in terms of color, and personally i'm more attracted to the darker contrast that the other two provide. the TC4, at the very least, has that silver edge around that helps separate it more from the tire.

though, it's probably best you get the opinion of someone who actually knows half a damn thing about cars, so i won't try to dig much further into the reasoning as all i could say is "color + shape = good" lmao. i think the TE37 would still be my pick!
Color + Shape = Good is usually the formula most car guys go for-- sure some care about performance, but like.. even then we all want dope ass wheels hahaha. It's valid to base your tastes on pure vibes. After seeing the dark TE's, I was like.. Woah, was I wrong about black wheels? I thought they just looked bad, period. Now I don't know.. The TE's look so good. And I can always throw them on my other car (not the AE86, but my white S13) if I want to keep them, but want something else on this S15!

Gunmetal TC4's might be the move, not gonna lie. Though if they are only temporary, on a cursory view right now--no telling what the market will do in a few years--it looks like the TE37's are selling for more used. You could, in theory, recoup more once you finally go for the dream wheels. Especially if you are getting them for around the same price as the TC4's. Hell, you might even make money on 'em.

Always good to save money though, toughing out the RPF1's basic factor for a few years to not bet on the market and saving a chunk of change wouldn't be too bad. Especially if that means you can get the wheels you truly want faster.
Saving money is good, true! But you are right, the TE37 market is pretty much unchanging. The most sought after sets, dubbed TE37 OG's (the original style for the wheels, which is slightly different, and came in some colors not available anymore), still hold their value at 4-6k, despite looking nearly identical to today's options.

There definitely is the benefit to being able to recoup most of the costs when the time comes to let them go, if that ever needs to happen. TC4's haven't really struck the used market the same from what I've seen, and I doubt it will happen since Advan tends to produce their wheels for long periods of time.

But.. the gunmetal on the TC4 is so nice.. tough choices abound.

I'm also "not a car guy" in the sense that I have no idea what is going on in the subculture, but dang do the TE37s look nice. I think something about the six spokes (are they still called spokes on car tires?) feels more balanced to me than the five of the TC4. but after taking a closer look at your Nissan, I definitely think the RPF1s would look really nice with the darker paint like you said.

Honestly all of the wheels would look pretty nice on your car, you have a really nice setup already. If price were equal on all of them, then the TE37s would be my pick (especially since it seems like importing them would be more affordable than normal at the moment).

Curious what your dream wheels are and how they differ from these (design, performance, some third thing?)
TE37's really do have a wow factor no matter what. It makes sense why people dub it "God's Wheel" in the scene, you can throw it on any car and it looks fantastic. Prius, Mustang, Hilux.. All become very cool! And yes, they are called spokes still! I do agree with the balance, I think that's why I am so washy on the TC4's, I wish the spokes were thicker (like Nismo LMGT4's, which cost .. a ridiculous amount of money..)

My dream wheels are Volk GT-C's! I care about style first, performance does not matter to me. I just want swag.

Image1_hyaM_0.jpg
aos05461_1.jpg
022-feat-signalautor34-000-lead

When I got into cars originally, it was during the early 2000s import scene. This was THE wheel to have. I think it encapsulates the coolness of that era perfectly. It still has that aura to me. I hope one day to have a VERTEX body kit on my car and rock these wheels. Cars don't get much cooler than that, to me!! (not true, I am being dramatic, the coolest a car can be is honestly a CLK GTR)​

Fuck it, I'm on that full send of the TE37's. Life's too short to not get some of that good shit. Solid investment on top of the pristine look. Hard to beat out. RIP Gunmetal TC4's, perhaps in another life.

My dream wheels are Volk GT-C's! I care about style first, performance does not matter to me. I just want swag.
GOATED CHOICE

TE37's really do have a wow factor no matter what. It makes sense why people dub it "God's Wheel" in the scene, you can throw it on any car and it looks fantastic. Prius, Mustang, Hilux.. All become very cool! And yes, they are called spokes still! I do agree with the balance, I think that's why I am so washy on the TC4's, I wish the spokes were thicker (like Nismo LMGT4's, which cost .. a ridiculous amount of money..)

lol I just looked up a picture of the TE37's on a prius and they really do add like +10 style.

Also those GT-C's slap, I can see why they're so prized, something about the thicker spokes makes me prefer it over the TC4, I was wondering earlier if I just didn't like five spoke wheels, but the GTC's proved me wrong.

Back