Staff member
Reaction score
Website
crouton.net
Gold
Cyber Sunset
Terminal Code
Rounded Rectangle Frame
Whatchu been playing lately? Whatchu think about it?

I finally got around to trying Pikmin last weekend and god damn I should've done it sooner. That game slams. I figured I'd like it because I like any kind of game that's full of little critters doing things but all the different layers of management you have to keep track of make it super engaging. I had bought it to just play for an hour or two as a break from work but ended up playing for six. Definitely getting the others soon

I’ve been playing a lot of Castlevania Lament Of Innocence. I heard so many bad things about this game from “real castlevania fans” growing up that I didn’t know what to really expect, but I’m having a great time. The music is especially cool, goes in a lot of directions I didn’t expect for this series. Takes like a minute and a half for this song to get going, but when it does… wow.

I beat the Ghost Trick remaster two days ago. Amazing game and a pretty much perfect remaster. Absolutely recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it - there's a demo if you're not sure. Missile is the greatest dog in video game history.

since then I've been in that "idk what I should play now" mood. probably should get back to Yakuza 5

I beat the Ghost Trick remaster two days ago. Amazing game and a pretty much perfect remaster. Absolutely recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it - there's a demo if you're not sure. Missile is the greatest dog in video game history.

since then I've been in that "idk what I should play now" mood. probably should get back to Yakuza 5
100% backing up Ghost Trick. incredible game

you should play uuuuuh. idk one of those games I keep telling you to play whenever it comes up. I can't think of any right now

i've been playing left 4 dead 2 a lot
i've always played a lot of zombie shooters when i was younger, so playing this game is a great experience

The two most opposite games on the planet. Vampire Survivors and The Longing. I highly recommend checking out both though The Longing might be a harder sell if you're not into those type of games. (Basically a point and click puzzle game with a time limit)

I did end up getting Stray Gods and as of rn I like it a lot. it’s pretty much just a VN with musical segments being the gimmick. you get timed choices throughout each song that change the lyrics/instrumentation etc. near the beginning of the game, you choose Grace’s general personality and it determines the kind of dialogue choices you can pick, so I’m thinking there’s bare minimum 3 playthroughs.

at about 4 hours, it says i’m 44% done. you can’t manually save either, so I’m guessing it’s on the short side but with a lot of different scenarios based on your songs and who you side with. music’s been good, art’s great and the voice acting is all really top notch. the current moral dilemma I’m at in the story was enough to make me go “I’m going to stop for now and come back to this once I’ve had time to sleep and think on it” so I’d say the narrative’s good too

Haven't been playing anything in like a month but today I pushed myself to get back into Doom Eternal and had some fun honestly and will continue. But sadly I literally cannot tolerate any game that is not a racing game more than 1 hour per session so IDK if I'll be able to finish it anytime soon lol. I also downloaded Quake 1 and might continue playing that as well. Also been wanting to play some SSX3 and Silent Hill 3 on PS2 recently but feeling kinda lazy to set up the PS2 😩

I did end up getting Stray Gods and as of rn I like it a lot. it’s pretty much just a VN with musical segments being the gimmick. you get timed choices throughout each song that change the lyrics/instrumentation etc. near the beginning of the game, you choose Grace’s general personality and it determines the kind of dialogue choices you can pick, so I’m thinking there’s bare minimum 3 playthroughs.

at about 4 hours, it says i’m 44% done. you can’t manually save either, so I’m guessing it’s on the short side but with a lot of different scenarios based on your songs and who you side with. music’s been good, art’s great and the voice acting is all really top notch. the current moral dilemma I’m at in the story was enough to make me go “I’m going to stop for now and come back to this once I’ve had time to sleep and think on it” so I’d say the narrative’s good too
Glad to hear it's good! Or at least engaging for the whole playthrough. I was very interested when I heard it was scored by Austin Wintory and then voiced by actors from Critical Role, though got hesitant at seeing the gameplay be mostly a VN which usually isn't what I go for.

My own D&D game is on a airship sailing/piracy arc so I've been replaying AC Black Flag over the past week. AC aside, it's one of the best pirate games I've ever played.

I have been in a crpg mood again and I am now addicted to Pathfinder Kingmaker send help I am having to manage murder hoboing and civilization gameplay

I have been in a crpg mood again and I am now addicted to Pathfinder Kingmaker send help I am having to manage murder hoboing and civilization gameplay

pathfinder games are so fucking good man. it’s complete number bullshit that expects you to know the system and will beat your ass if you don’t. but that’s why it’s good (and you can make it as easy as you want, should you need to)

WOTR genuinely is the best crpg i’ve played that isn’t named baldur’s gate II. shit, kingmaker to WOTR basically feels like BG1 to 2 in terms of scale increase, and kingmaker is already fucking massive. we love owlcat games here

jaethal bros ww@

I cannot believe kingmaker is owlcat's first game. I really want to play WOTR but I still need to finish this game first. I will admit early on when I was getting used to the game it was really frustrating how often I just kinda die. Though after realizing this game LOVES buffs and debuffs I am now actually progressing. Also I still need to play a Baldur's gate game.

yeah it’s definitely a game of stacking buffs. CC is really strong too so spells like grease or colour spray can completely turn fights in your favour, and I’m pretty sure a bunch of encounters are designed with that in mind.

usually if there’s an enemy you just can’t seem to make a dent in, they have one particular thing they’re weak against so it’s good to make sure your party is rounded out. like if your fighters are having trouble hitting some troll because its AC is super high, it’ll probably have a comparatively low will save so you can put it to sleep first. things like that

teamwork feats can also give you massive buffs for multiple characters targeting the same monster so it’s a good idea to invest in some for your frontliners. blind fight also is very important, not so much early on but later enemies love concealment, so blind fight hard counters a bunch of those effects.

idk i could go on forever. pathfinder is a cool system. NUMBERS

I love Pathfinder, it's the filling out a doctor's form of ttrpgs. Yeah I made my player character the funny pirate freebooter class because it sounded useful for a kingdom management game. I don't really have an issue with big AC nerds, it's mostly just low level characters not being able to hit shit. I can absolutely see the level of shenanigans you can make. I will admit I haven't used barely any CC so far unless you count FIREBALL lol.

Continuing my wild ride through western RPGs I figured I needed a game to play on my own too. Anyways I’m playing Wasteland 3 again and it’s a blast. Never got super far in it before but I’m having so much fun with character builds, starting my party off with snipers & shottys.

I started playing Yakuza 5 again (I tried playing it right after finishing 4 back in 2020 and bounced off it, whoops)

Half of the taxi driving side missions are all-in on being realistic (you will be penalised for not using your turn signals or braking suddenly) and the other half are a straight up racing game with drifting and eurobeat playing. Peak game design, really

Wasteland 3 has continued to just kinda get better and better the more I play. There's a mission early on to get one of the companions where you carry out frontier justice while gospel music plays and you massacre defenseless rich children who betrayed the town.

It's pretty fantastic. Really wasn't expecting to gun down teenagers and was very much prepared for the Bethesda way of handling that kinda thing. Surprised me all around and holy hell did it make for great character development. I almost regret kitting out a full party of 4 player made characters, the 2 companions I have in my party are so well written.

Back