What are you playing right now?

I soft-locked myself in the Dungeons in Yakuza 7... and I am so pissed off. I came here to level up, and now I'm stuck. Every time I try to leave I get taken down by enemies way above my level, and I can rarely flee. I am so mad. I was enjoying this game, but now I'm stuck and just..... eugh. So fucking mad.

I soft-locked myself in the Dungeons in Yakuza 7... and I am so pissed off. I came here to level up, and now I'm stuck. Every time I try to leave I get taken down by enemies way above my level, and I can rarely flee. I am so mad. I was enjoying this game, but now I'm stuck and just..... eugh. So fucking mad.
I managed to find a way out of my problem, and then spent the next 4 hours straight playing the management minigame.......... This game rocks again

I picked up a copy of NBA 2K23 because it was pretty cheap (last year's game and all) and I did actually enjoy the ones I played on PS3. This was, perhaps unsurprisingly, a mistake.

they made the career mode just awful. there's some open world city thing they make you walk around to do anything and moving around it is the slowest thing in the universe. whatever story they're trying to tell is not interesting at all. your player feels like shit at the start and progression is comically slow - in order to make you want to give them money to improve your stats, of course. they gave me a quest to go talk to jake from state farm. who the fuck is jake from state farm, i am not an american. i just wanted to play basketball

it's dogshit. it shouldn't be surprising that it's dogshit, but it's worse than you could imagine. play NBA Jam for the SNES instead. or the Mega Drive/Genesis or whatever I'm just saying SNES because that's the version I've played

I replayed DBZ The Legacy of Goku 2 recently & it's solid, fun. Holds up reasonably well. Not a whole lot going on with it but I was happy to revisit it

Started Buu's Fury a couple days ago and while it improves on it in a few ways, playing this game as a kid might be single handedly responsible for my current hatred of grinding. There are literal level gates that require you to be certain levels with certain characters to get through (LOG2 did that too, but it was never egregious). As soon as you get Goku in BF, he's lv65, and before you even see any enemies there's a lv70 gate. So you have to fly back to the area at the start of the game and grind on incredibly weak enemies for it. Then once you get through, you do one area - probably as Goku, since you're already playing as him - only to find a lv85 Gohan gate at the end. I did a bit of grinding with Gohan already but he was still only lv68. Maddening.

Gotta give them some kind of credit, though -- that level of filler is pretty faithful to the source material

Play Legacy of Goku 1 or you're a coward (seriously how did they go from that to making Actually Pretty Good games, wtf)

me trying to get Term to play a bad video game aside, it's time for volume 2 (of 2, probably) of Crab's Adventures With Modern Sports Games

EA Sports FC (formerly FIFA) 24 is... a normal video game! It wants to get you into matches quickly. The career mode is about actually playing the game (and anything that isn't playing the game is handled in actual menus, not some bizarre open world thing). your stats just go up by playing matches and doing training drill minigames and stuff

it probably has horrific monetisation in the Ultimate Team card pack opening thing mode, but it's seemingly entirely constrained to that. i just get to actually play the game and have fun

like i said, it just feels like a normal video game, but that's a million steps above what 2K have going on

Spent 20+ hours in Puyo - Puyo Tetris! Mainly playing in Tetris mode. I don't know why but stacking pieces together and making rows disappear feels too satisfying, the kind of feeling I get from rhythm games. And there are goofy characters too, which is nice :>

Watched my gf playing Katamari Damacy and played a few levels myself - I'M IN LOVE. The complete opposite of the "cinematic experience" games, raw gameplay with a complete banger of a soundtrack. And the flat colour artstyle is so good, It's cool how embracing technical limitations can make your visuals feel so fresh.

I wish the 00s were real.

Buu's Fury's level design is getting more and more atrocious as it goes on

check out this map
1717369409292.png

So to get through this floor you have to get from the room on the top right to the room on the bottom right. Getting there requires pressing the buttons on the three "interruptor" rooms, which is fine. But each one is missing the switch to hit the button, which is what the "switch" rooms are on the map. Except each door is locked, and only one can be unlocked at a time. So in between every switch you have to backtrack to the button room and unlock the next door

And of course all the visuals are the same and there are only like 3 enemies in this area. I was gonna complain about backtracking but how could you even tell with how samey it all is

Later, I was in another area where I had to break a level gate with Goten to enter. Went through the area, beat the boss, had to backtrack to the start to exit. But there was a character swap point at the end, so I switched to Trunks to level him up on the way back -- only to find out that the level gate respawns when you leave the screen, so not only can only Goten /enter/ that area, but only Goten can /exit/ it as well. Had to backtrack all the way to the end and back again just to leave

Honestly, filler like this is kind of true for the source material. But in spite of the updates to the combat, more varied environments & some added rpg mechanics, I think LoG2 might be the better game just because it avoids this sort of nonsense

I return, and with more having gone through! I've knocked out not only PD: Extend, but I've stepped up to the Vita releases. F is down, and 2nd follows! I've also somewhat gotten back into Taiko.
As for games beyond rhythm, I've been somewhat slowing down to try out longer games (or the opposite, I've been chipping at Burnout Paradise). I may set up my PS2 for online play as well now that I have ethernet, so that'll be sick! Monster Hunter's translation awaits.
Last, touching back on Salt and Sanctuary once more, I believe the fourth run's done. Unless something else comes up, my friend and I've made no progress since late 2023.
Small update, I've come to knocking out the Project Diva games! At first it was a passing interest, but since I got my Vita it was as good as sealed. So far I've gotten through the first two, and I'm currently going through Extend's PSP translation! Although I'm not doing it in one sitting -- I like the games but I am alright on one sitting -- I'm definitely liking it. On my Salt run, I haven't continued it in a while, however I'm waiting for that and well. It's gonna be sick!

Buu's Fury's level design is getting more and more atrocious as it goes on

check out this map
View attachment 795

So to get through this floor you have to get from the room on the top right to the room on the bottom right. Getting there requires pressing the buttons on the three "interruptor" rooms, which is fine. But each one is missing the switch to hit the button, which is what the "switch" rooms are on the map. Except each door is locked, and only one can be unlocked at a time. So in between every switch you have to backtrack to the button room and unlock the next door

And of course all the visuals are the same and there are only like 3 enemies in this area. I was gonna complain about backtracking but how could you even tell with how samey it all is

Later, I was in another area where I had to break a level gate with Goten to enter. Went through the area, beat the boss, had to backtrack to the start to exit. But there was a character swap point at the end, so I switched to Trunks to level him up on the way back -- only to find out that the level gate respawns when you leave the screen, so not only can only Goten /enter/ that area, but only Goten can /exit/ it as well. Had to backtrack all the way to the end and back again just to leave

Honestly, filler like this is kind of true for the source material. But in spite of the updates to the combat, more varied environments & some added rpg mechanics, I think LoG2 might be the better game just because it avoids this sort of nonsense
Don't have me remember Buu's Fury, lol. It was a good game from the earlier parts, certainly; I honestly loved it! However, the later half droned. My memory's fuzzy, yes, but I think it was chapter 7 where I was having it mess up for me.

if the avatar change didn't indicate it already, I've been reading the Tsukihime remake (the fan translation because I'm too impatient to wait for the official release even though it's out in like three weeks. shh don't tell them. I'll still buy it to support it)

Going from the original's "doujin game made in the year 2000 and 100% looks like it" to the remake being the best looking visual novel I've ever seen is pretty wild. Really loving it so far, definitely need to lock in and get through some longer sessions of it.

so in Buu's Fury you spend a huge chunk of the game with Gohan not available for story reasons & when you get him back he gets bumped to level 110 for free & you get a bunch of points to allocate

then you get two screens of enemies to fight and a level gate set to 140

this game is driving me fucking insane, gamers

Almost immediately afterward they do the exact same thing AGAIN

30 more levels with goku

Legacy 2 is better

i know it probably sucks while playing it, but reading about this is funny as hell. i'm sorry

anyway, I replayed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night for the first time since launch over the last few days. Happy to report that it's still great and wears the proud crown of being my Second Favourite Game of 2019 (because Devil May Cry 5 was also that year)

they've added a bunch of extra modes since launch, but i don't know if i'm gonna touch them. kinda had my fill just replaying the main game. at least now they're done adding stuff, so we might actually see the sequel sometime soon. kickstarter stretch goals are kind of a mistake lol

I return, and with more having gone through! I've knocked out not only PD: Extend, but I've stepped up to the Vita releases. F is down, and 2nd follows! I've also somewhat gotten back into Taiko.
As for games beyond rhythm, I've been somewhat slowing down to try out longer games (or the opposite, I've been chipping at Burnout Paradise). I may set up my PS2 for online play as well now that I have ethernet, so that'll be sick! Monster Hunter's translation awaits.
Last, touching back on Salt and Sanctuary once more, I believe the fourth run's done. Unless something else comes up, my friend and I've made no progress since late 2023.
Hello again! I've made zero progress on the Diva games, lol; I had to pick up another SD2Vita as my previous had broken contacts, which, although unfortunate, I've heard that they were flimsy. That changes tonight however, as I've received a couple more in favor of futureproofing!
Second, within this month a Switch controller I pre-ordered will be coming in -- with that, I've got a ton to get to! I picked up the first Phantasy Star, I've had Monster Hunter: GU waiting, and the same goes for Fire Emblem's Shadow Dragon re-release. Come next month too, I'm considering on importing the new Pawapuro coming out, so that'll be something too. This summer'll be packed!

Last edited:
You got this! I don't have much to follow it with, but I'm wishing you well.
I did finally finish it today - thankfully that was the last of the nonsense lol

Funny that Legacy 2 holds up reasonably well but BF falls apart just for a handful of stupid reasons

Back